Thursday, July 19, 2012

In the eye of the storm


Indian visa


Hello again! Things have been *really* busy for me lately as I try to finish up my thesis so I can GRADUATE (!!!), but I have a day or so to catch my breath before diving back in for the home stretch. I just sent off the 150-page manuscript to my thesis committee last night, and I defend it next Wednesday, July 25, at 11:30am. Woohoo! While I have a few spare minutes (it feels like I'm in the eye of a hurricane, haha), I wanted to share some neat updates:

1.) As you can see from the thermometer on the side bar, God has been EXTREMELY gracious and faithful to provide financially so far ($4,960 raised)! You people have blown me away with your generosity! Just to give some perspective, EMI sends out regular update emails to their interns, and some of the recent ones have been along the lines of, “If you don’t have many donations yet, don’t feel discouraged – call us so we can talk and pray about it; God will provide what you need.” I almost had to laugh at those emails (while simultaneously feeling bad for the people who they legitimately applied to). So far, I have not had to make a SINGLE follow-up call or pester ANYONE about giving money. I’ve just sent out letters (75 and counting), prayed that the Lord would send money if I was really supposed to go to India, and then to my surprise a steady stream of donations has been flowing in since May. Wow! Thank you. :)

2.) I now have my official project assignmentS! That’s right, I get to work on TWO different projects! (Most interns only do one, but to quote the India office manager, I’m their “token civil engineering intern” for the fall, so I’ll get to work on both.) I’m excited!! :) :) :) One project will be in northern India, the other will be way down in southern India. Both are for the design of children’s homes (orphanages). It looks like I’ll even get to work on some water/wastewater/rainwater designs, which is a pleasant surprise! You can read all about the projects here, including a map of where they are and who else will be on the teams with me:

In other news, I now have my Indian visa (I asked for a 6 month visa and they gave me 11 months; I’m not complaining! [sheepish editor's note: I got a 6 month visa after all... I misread the date. Haha.]), malaria medicine (140 pills!), some beginner Hindi skills (thank you Pimsleur!), and a plane ticket to Colorado (for orientation and training) which leaves August 19 – exactly one month from today. Woohoo! :) India here I come!

Hugs from Clemson,
David

Our God is no stranger to storms:

No comments:

Post a Comment