Sunday, May 13, 2012

Hi friends! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog. I plan on using it to share updates, stories, prayer requests, and pictures from my EMI internship in India this fall.

I won't be in India until August, but in the meantime, here is a letter I wrote explaining some of the details of what I'll be doing during my time there. Enjoy! :)

Hugs,
David
_________________________________________________________________________________

Hello from Clemson! J It’s hard to believe that in a few months I will have a Masters degree in civil engineering. What a blessing my six years at Clemson have been! I’ve learned volumes about the created world, our wonderful Creator, other people, and myself. I’m not sure where I’ll be in six years, but I can tell you (with much excitement!) that the Lord has opened the door for me to serve in India this fall with a group called Engineering Ministries International (EMI)! J

Through service projects, international friends, and Biblical teaching, the Lord has sparked a passion in my heart to serve the people of developing countries. I’ve already had opportunities to go to El Salvador and Haiti to help provide people with clean water (the picture above is from a spring break trip to Haiti), and now I’d love to continue that trend in India[1]. Perhaps the only thing more exciting than sharing clean water with people is sharing Living Water[2] with them, and EMI allows me to do both!

EMI is a nonprofit Christian organization that produces engineering and architectural designs for other Christian ministries around the world. I mentioned water because that’s something I’m passionate about, but I could be assigned to a wide range of project types once I arrive in August (it will all depend on the needs at that time). Past EMI projects include schools, hospitals, churches, orphanages, community centers, and (of course!) water/wastewater treatment systems. After training in Colorado (Aug 19-25), I’ll live in New Delhi (India’s capital city) until Dec 14, working under the supervision of a US engineer.

I’ll admit, the prospect of moving around the world for four months is a bit daunting, not to mention the fact that I have to raise $6,000 before August 6 in order to participate. However, God owns all the money in the world (literally![3]), so I figure that if He wants me to go to India (as I believe He does), He’ll provide everything I need to be obedient. Therefore, please pray with me and for me! As Martin Luther said, “Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance, but laying hold of His willingness,” and indeed, “the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective” (James 5:16b). Please pray for spiritual preparation (for the EMI team as well as the Indian nationals we’ll meet), logistical success (that all the pieces will come together smoothly), and financial provision (that people will be led to contribute cheerfully).

If you can give financially, please visit https://emisecure.org/donate.html. (For the record, all donations are tax-deductible. If you'd prefer to donate using pen-and-paper, let me know and I'll gladly send you a response card! I also have prayer reminder cards for those who want them.)

If you have questions, don’t hesitate to email me, call me, or come talk with me in person; I’d love to tell you more! Thanks for taking the time to read this entire letter.

Enthusiastically,
David
This is my email address. :) I made it an image instead of text to prevent robots from sending me spam. (Seriously - it happens!)
This phone number will only work while I'm in the US - I will have to get a different one for India.


[1] Did you know that over 140 million people in India don’t have access to clean water?! The internet says so: http://www.unicef.org/india/media_6116.htm.
[2] Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him” (John 7:37b-38, NIV).
[3] “The world is mine, and all that is in it” (Psalm 50:12b, NIV).

1 comment:

  1. David,
    I wish you safe successful trip to India.
    Bests
    Ismail

    ReplyDelete